Today I decided on a new life mission. It’s based on a comment I’ve heard way too many times, in as many variations as you can possibly imagine. “Everything that is delicious is unhealthy.” I can see you nodding at the screen in agreement. And I’m not here to tell you you’re wrong. I’m here to show you you’re wrong. No, I don’t mean I’m going to create something “healthy and edible” – I am going to create meals that are so delicious you will completely forget that they are “healthy” to begin with. And so this life’s mission will be called “Wellness Wednesdays.”
Welcome to the very first one! Can I just say – this recipe is tried-and-tested, roomie-approved, carb-lover-approved, and will definitely be one to store in the recipe book for the ages. And, can you say this with me? It is LOW-CARB, FULL OF VEGGIES, AND DELICIOUS. Yeah, that’s right. I said it. Healthy AND Delicious. Put briefly, it is a deliciously moist and seasoned chicken burger over a bed of spinach, topped with a mango jalapeno topping.
I decided to experiment with a lean meat that, in all honesty, I normally don’t enjoy. Chicken breast. It’s almost unbelievable to me that these burgers are made of chicken breast. I also did not even notice the spinach, even though I ate a good amount of it. It was all tied together so well by the mango topping that I just got thoroughly tied up in enjoying my dinner. By the end of it, I was happy, satisfied, and incredibly full. It was simply perfect. I hope you all enjoy this as much as I did!
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ of large red pepper, finely chopped
- ¼ of a jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped [add more if you want them to be spicy]
- ½ of a small onion (about 4 tbsp), finely chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 1 lb Ground Chicken Breast
- ½ cup fresh, coarsely ground bread crumbs (1-2 slices of normal loaf bread)
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup half and half
- ¾ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp chili powder
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 mangos, peeled and chopped into ½ inch pieces
- ¼ of a small onion (about 2 tbsp), finely chopped
- ½ jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped [add more if you want it to be spicy]
- ¼ of a large red pepper, finely chopped
- ⅛ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tbsp fresh lime juice
- Fresh Spinach
- In a small pan, heat the olive oil on medium-high heat. Sautee the red pepper, jalapeno pepper, garlic, and onion until tender, about 3 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chicken breast, egg, half and half, and bread crumbs. Mix until combined. Add salt, chili powder, and black pepper, and stir to combine.
- When the sauteed vegetables have cooled, add to the chicken breast mix and mix well.
- Set to marinade for 15 minutes in the fridge. (This would be a good time to make the topping).
- When ready to cook, lightly grease a pan and raise heat to medium.
- Loosely shape a handful of chicken into a ball and drop onto the pan. I had patties of about ¾ inch thickness. Let patties cook, flipping every 2-3 minutes, for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients until mixed well. Store in the fridge while coking the patties.