I’ve been thinking a lot about gratitude this week – thanks to some very wise friends of mine. Apart from amazing people, rockin music, and extraordinary books – I have to say hobbies make the top 5 in my gratitude list. Nothing makes my day quite as much as coming up with a stellar recipe and sharing it with you guys. Something about it feels like art – like expressing a little bit of my heart in some creative way can make this world a little better. Alright, enough with the mushy thoughts. Let’s get on to the mushy (is that a bad adjective?) food.
There’s nothing quite like a kickboxing workout to kick your healthy eating habits into gear. So, courtesy of my workout today (and of the ladies at Her Heart), I bring you the most savory salmon patties ever – Wellness Wednesday style. Now, if you aren’t from the South, odds are you’ve never heard of “salmon patties.” Well, let me introduce you to something you’ll never forget. Traditionally, they are a delicious form of croquette held together with bread crumbs and eggs, and fried. This version, however, is very light, using very little oil and bread and a lot of flavor. These patties are incredibly tender and pair very well with green vegetables or starches like baked potatoes.
If you’re looking for a healthy meal option that will set your flavor-lovin-tastebuds in a frenzy and make you feel like you’ve had a calorie-dense meal (without actually having one), these Teriyaki Salmon Patties are definitely the way to go. Enjoy!
- 1 14.75oz can salmon, drained, skin peeled, and bones removed (or about 6.2 oz of any cooked salmon)
- 1 tbsp green onion, finely chopped
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp sesame seeds
- ⅛ tsp ground mustard
- ⅛ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp garlic
- 1 tbsp yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- ⅛ cup dry bread crumbs
- ½ tbsp vegetable oil for sauteing
- In a medium bowl, use a fork to flake the salmon.
- in a small bowl, combine the next 8 ingredients, and stir to combine.
- Add the mixture to the salmon, and stir to combine.
- Add in the yellow onion, bread crumbs, and egg, and stir to combine.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium high heat until the oil is hot. Reduce the heat to medium.
- Divide the salmon into four parts. Roll each part into a ball using your hands, and flatten.
- Place the patties in the skillet. Saute for 2-3 minutes. Flip, and saute 5 more minutes.