At the risk of being way too early for this, I honestly can’t help myself. Today was our first cool morning of the year, the first vestige of the oncoming Fall season. Oh, I know. You’re not ready for summer to be over yet, please Damaris, don’t talk about it. Oh, but I can’t help it! My heart is swelling with the thought of smoky air and a kaleidoscopic world of multicolor leaves. To think that I will soon be able to decorate the house with glass pumpkins and cute scarecrows, to know that our Fall vegetables will bloom in the garden… it is magical. So, here is my daring entrance into the Fall season, even though it seems the rest of the world is not quite as fond of it as I am.
My husband and I have been making an effort in the last year to continue our course toward habitually eating well. Mind you, I refuse to put anything in my mouth that I will not absolutely relish. I am a mere 5’2″ and I just don’t have the calories to waste. Here is one of my favorite creations – the Trickster Treat Double Chocolate Muffins. Why “Trickster,” you ask? Well, if I could ask you to make this recipe blindfolded, try it, and then tell me what you thought was in it – boy, would you be tricked. To prevent some major potential fire hazards, I’ll just spoil the trick.
This recipe has no oil, no butter, and is made with whole wheat flour, flax seed meal, and bran flakes. I promise – one of these, and you will be full for a good, long while. But here’s the real trick – these are tastier than a lot of the regular chocolate muffins I’ve had. You’re welcome.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup bran flakes
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ¾ cup brown sugar (light or dark, depending on your preference)
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup flax seed meal (same as "ground flax seed")
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup Ghirardelli unsweetened cocoa powder (my favorite)
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line 12 muffin tins with muffin liners.
- Pour the first six ingredients in a large bowl and stir to combine. Let the ingredients sit as you combine the rest of your ingredients in another bowl. This will allow the bran flakes time to soak.
- Combine your ingredients into the large bowl and stir until combined (do not overmix).
- Divide the mixture into 12 muffin tins and bake in the preheated oven for 18-22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.